The Association for Women in Communications (AWC) is a professional organization that champions the advancement of women across all communications disciplines by recognizing excellence, promoting leadership and positioning its members at the forefront of the evolving communications era.
As part of its annual mission, the Oklahoma City Chapter of AWC funds scholarships for women pursuing a communications-related degree at an Oklahoma college or university.
To qualify for the scholarship you must be:
- A woman pursuing a degree in a communications-related field (i.e. public relations, journalism, advertising, photography, graphic design, etc.).
- A sophomore, junior or senior at a 4-year college OR sophomore at a 2-year college OR post-graduate student beginning the fall of 2018.
- A full-time student (enrolled in at least 12 hours) at an Oklahoma university or college.
Scholarship selection will be based on aptitude, interest in a communication-related career, academic performance, financial need and demonstration of community service. Note that only fully completed applications will be considered.
The scholarship winners will be honored at the AWC Byliner Awards Event in the Spring of 2019. The winners are strongly encouraged to attend.
- Most recent college transcript.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from people who have witnessed your academic and/or
- professional communications experience.
- One work sample such as a news release, ad copy, feature article, design layout, videos or another piece featuring your ability in your chosen field. Hard or digital copy accepted, limited to one page in length or 2 minutes for video. Please provide a DVD or hyperlink to view video.
- List of community activities (with start/end dates), officer or committee positions held, and any community awards.
- List of school and internship activities (with start/end dates) and any academic awards.
- Financial Statement. Please use the Financial Statement Information page to complete.
- Personal Statement explaining why you are applying for this scholarship – no more than 250 words (i.e. why you chose to study communications, what your goals are after graduation, etc).
- A recent, high-quality, color photo of yourself. If selected, the photo may be distributed with a news release to announce the scholarship winners. Digital or hard copy accepted.
Stay tuned for more details on the scholarship application deadline for 2018.